*This post may contain affiliate links
I’ve been working on the ‘Project Gallery’, which right now I have to say looks awful.
Please don’t look, it’s embarrassing! (Ok, you can look now, the new one is up and running!). And I realized that I never posted a tutorial on the guest bedroom souvenir notecard gallery wall. So here goes…
I love using pretty souvenir postcards and notecards as wall art. Not only are they inexpensive but they remind you of a great trip every time you look at them.
These notecards were extra special since I got them on our honeymoon, during a visit to Yosemite National Park. They’re different illustrations of some John Muir’s specimens, which he collected during his travels. History lesson time: “John Muir was one of the most influential preservationists in American history and has been called the Father of the National Park System.” (quoted from the notecards jacket.)
Anyway, I though they were beautiful and went with the guest bedroom’s nature theme. Here’s a secret, I actually bought them as a souvenir for a friend, fell in love and kept them for myself. Then gave them something else, Is that terrible?
It was pretty inexpensive and I still have four cards left for another project, or if I ever want to write a note (yeah, that’s not gonna happen).
I got some cheap (but awesome) frames at IKEA. The mat that they come with was way too big for the tiny notecards, so I filled the space with second mat. The images were all different sizes and were going to look strange with a one size fits all pre-cut mat. I was gonna need to get mats custom cut for each notecard.
I went to a local artist supply place (Pearl Art in Miami) that also does custom framing. They are way cheaper than Michaels and other framing places, plus they have so much cool art stuff that it’s just fun to go to. The six mats cost just under $12. They had to redo one they messed up and even threw it in for free!
I choose the blue to match with the room’s color scheme, add a bit of color to them and make the illustrations really stick out.
The tricky part was hanging them up. I used a laser level to get them at the same height across the wall. Unfortunately the laser only works horizontally, so matching them up vertically was the challenge. But after a few extra nail holes and much frustration I got them right. Well almost, they’re still a little wonky but they’re staying that way.