It always seems that when I’m going to organize and move stuff in one area of the house, I can’t begin until I move and organize in another area. I literally have a huge mess of craft supplies on and all around the dining table, cause that’s where I craft. We live in a townhouse so we don’t have any extra room for a craft room or area. But I really need to find a central location for all my supplies, so I don’t have to go crazy looking for stuff all over the house, whenever I want to make something.
This is embarrassing but this is my mess… The dining table acts my computer desk, home office, storage space and craft center. The only thing it’s not used for is eating, we actually eat on tray tables in front of the tv.
(BTW the bottle front and center isn’t part of my crafts, it’s fish flakes. My cat goes nuts for them!)
I started brainstorming and realized we have a totally underutilized closet (full of junk) in the upstairs hallway. It’s a good size and would be a perfect place to a craft closet to house all my crafting supplies.
The only problem is that it’s full of stuff that should actually be in other places of the house. But all those other places and closets need to be organized first before I can put new stuff into them.
Plus the shelves are falling apart, the piece of wood in the middle is supposed to be helping to hold up the shelves. But it’s really only holding up the top one. So really all the shelving has to go. And since that’s the case I might as well reconfigure it. wink!
I made up a list of craft closet must have’s to keep me on track:
1. Ribbon, twine and jute Storage
2. Desk that expands, so I can work on larger projects and even sew on it
3. An area for in process and future projects
4. Pen, pencil, marker and brush storage cups
5. Pretty Craft Paper storage
6. Brown craft paper storage, I’ll use it to cover the table so I don’t damage it
7. Peg board for hanging supplies neatly
8. Magnetic board and cork board
9. Somewhere to keep my project to do list
10. Curtains (instead of the ugly bi-fold doors) to close off the area when not in use
11. Inspiration file folders, where I can put magazine clippings
12. Plenty of boxes for hidden storage
13. Sewing supply storage
14. General project supply storage
Craft Closet Inspiration
To inspire me to get to all that quicker I made a collection of some of my favorite organized spaces. I hope to incorporate some of these ideas into my future craft center. Yay, I can’t wait.
We’ve been feverishly working on getting rid of stuff in all the closets in order to free up space for the new craft closet. So I’ll soon be getting to work on it. Oh, and you know I’ll be using those awesome $1 shelves I got at IKEA!