I feel like all we did this weekend was paint, paint and paint some more. We painted all the shelving and walls of the closet. Even though we bought a paint with primer combo we still had to give the shelves three coats and the walls two. We just used the basic white paint right off the shelf in an eggshell finish.
I wanted to do something special to the walls of my craft closet but nothing too busy that would drive me nuts in that small space. I thought of a pretty wallpaper pattern like in the craft closet inspirations. Wallpaper can be really beautiful but also very expensive. So it would have to be painted on. There are a ton of beautiful examples of diy wallpaper online (which I’ll be showing you soon; UPDATE: check them out here).
My favorite is the diy Moroccan stencil pattern. I saw it used by Rachel on the Design Star white room challenge a few weeks ago and thought it looked amazing.
DIY Moroccan Stencil
I wanted to make them oversized and couldn’t find a store-bought stencil online that large. So I drew up my own diy Moroccan stencil on my computer and printed it out on four sheets of paper.
You can download the diy Moroccan stencil and print out the 4 pieces, here:
I stuck the four sheets together with tape and cut out the stencil from an old piece of cardboard.
The color I chose was cherries jubilee from Glidden to match the color of my IKEA storage boxes (here). I had them mix up a tester (paint/primer in one) for $2.94 (which brings the total cost of the craft room so far to $73). It was enough for the whole closet and I had 1/3 left over, which I’ll be using for the floor.
I saw this tip for getting perfect tape lines on a blog a while ago, but I can’t remember the name of it for the life of me. They said to place the tape and then paint over the edges with the wall base color (white in this case) to form a seal. Then when you paint over with the second color you won’t get any bleed through. Remove the tape while the paint is slightly wet.
Worked like a charm.
I did mess up a few times and just went back after and did a little touch up with the white paint.
Three coats later and I was officially finished.
Next time I’ll show you how we installed the shelves…